Sampler compilations – information for bands
- 1 About us and how we work – introduction
- 2 Rules – read if you want to be on our compilations
- 3 Our song sharing system (this is how we get you new fans)
- 4 Information for cover models
- 5 Final thoughts
About us and how we work – introduction
Halotan Records is gothic, dark electro and industrial recording label. We have good experience releasing compilations, as we have released 10 of them so far: Halotan Sounds 1 & 2 and Halotan Records Samplers 1 to 8.
We have extensive experience in graphic design for print and audio mastering for music release purposes – both we routinely perform in-house. We also created our own unique CD manufacturing system, that makes it possible to release very short runs of physical CDs without risking much money. The system has been tried and improved on our over 40 own releases to date. Not (touch wood) a single quality – related return has been made so far.
VA - Halotan Records Sampler 08
More info and player
We also have our own unique way of sharing music we release. The system makes it easy to spread the music on Facebook / Twitter and also to get Facebook fans for your band.
The latter is done using individual song pages containing Facebook social plugin with band’s Facebook page in it (example here). This way by sharing your own song you give yourself opportunity to get valuable fans – on top of reaching potential fans with your music.
We do sell CDs, but sales and money are not our objective. Whatever money we make we put it back in advertising of the music we have in store. Our objective is to promote good music in genres we like. Halotan Records is a hobby, not business.
As you can see we are well positioned to release music in professional manner.
What Halotan Records Sampler compilations are
In a nutshell Samplers are goth, dark electro, industrial compilations.
They cover wide range of dark independent or goth music. You will find on the genres like dark electro, industrial, aggrotech, gothic rock and many goth-related hybrid types of music.
The compilations are distributed as full free download and physical CD that can be bought. Our aim is to reach as many fans as possible and we are quite successful at it. We search for suitable bands ourselves. We also allow public submissions as well, so anybody can apply.
Rules – read if you want to be on our compilations
How to take part in the compilation?
Please send us some links to a place where we can listen to your music without downloading. The email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Soundcloud, bandcamp or youtube links are perfect. If we like your music, we will get back to you asking to send a song. We usually let you to pick the song by yourself.
You can send us your links anytime. Samplers come out regularly, so if approved we’ll include you in next available edition.
How to send your song?
Once approved you need to send us our music. This is how:
The easy way:
Send it in whatever format you have handy.
Ideally, your sumbmission email should contain:
- Download link to mastered song in wav format (any bitrate, any sampling frequency you work in)
- Download link to unmastered song in wav format (any bitrate, any sampling frequency you work in)
- Short band biography 3-4 sentences, will be printed on booklet
- Band photo or logo – will be printed on booklet
- Facebook fanpage link if you have one – crucial for our sharing system
- Bandcamp link if you have one – will appear in player
Of course we understand you may not be able to send all this. Send whatever you can and we’ll work out the rest for you.
The email to send your song to is email@example.com. Use wetransfer.com or any other file sharing system.
The bad news – what we do not do
- we will not pay you for your song.
- we will not send you free copies of compilation. Why? We manufacture (nearly) only those CDs that are actually sold. Each CD costs us money, we have no extras. We sell very little and the sales do not cover cost of sending each band a couple of the CDs.
The good news – what we do to get your music heard
- your music will reach a lot of people interested in your genre
- you do not have to pay to participate. Asking to pay to participate unfortunately becomes more and more commonplace practice. We do not do this, while offering you more than paid compilations usually do.
- you are taking part in compilation that is both physical CD and digital. This makes it stand out from digital-only crowd.
- whatever money (if any) we make on physical CD sales will go back to the bands in form of promotion. We will buy ads and pay for other promo activities, budget permitting.
- your music will be easy to share, and each shared song gives you chance to get heard of. We do not relay on youtube to share music, we have our own system. All traffic it generates gives you chance to get Facebook fans and other bands chance to get their music heard. All the gain goes to the band, not to youtube etc.
By sending us your song you agree to adhere to the following:
You grant us non-exclusive permission to distribute your song for free or fee across digital and physical media. No legal liability can arise from any form of interaction with us. Halotan Records is a hobby and we do not need problems.
Free mp3 download
Please be advised that we always give full free mp3 download of the whole compilation. We do not believe in restricting access to music. From our experience it makes no difference to physical CD sales.
Our song sharing system (this is how we get you new fans)
We use our own sharing system. It can not only spread your music on Facebook, but also get you new fans for facebook page!
Each song on compilation has your band’s facebook fan page attached to it (if you have one of course). When the song is shared i can be listened to in a player on facebook. If link is clicked instead of “play” button, the user sees individual song page with Facebook social plugin. It lets them like your band on the spot! Yes, you can not only get your song liked, but also get new fans that are yours for life!
Youtube, beat this ;) But all this really work like youtube, only better because it is tailored for bands and music. Everything in this system encourages liking your song, your band’s fanpage and spreading the word. We even have Twitter song sharing facility.
All this is explained in greater detail on the images below, everything starts with player in our shop.
The easiest way to share is just to click like button next to the song. But you can’t do this as your band’s fanpage, so we show the way that works for both users and pages.
If the users choose to listen on Facebook, they will see a personalised graphics showing your band’s photo or logo – as per ones you can see below (from Sampler 07). This is why it is so important to send us a photo and logo of your band – it is one of the places it will be used.
Every song has associated band’s Facebook fanpage and Bandcamp profile. Links are displayed next to song artist and title.
This way if user likes your music they can connect with you right away by going to your page and liking it or buying your music from Bancamp. This gives you another opportunity to connect with new fans.
Information for cover models
Our compilations have always had an alternative model on its cover. The visual part of our scene is important and we want to take this opportunity to showcase some good photos. Also, we are perfectly aware that good cover photo can help to get fans to reach for the compilation.
In fact, we are looking not only for cover photos. We need photos to use throughout the CD – on cover, booklet and inlay. Please see our latest compilation – there are photos of the CD so you can get the idea on how it works. We prefer photos showing cyber/goth/fetish style. A couple of photos from one session work best for us.
We do not pay for the photos. If you read the rest of information in this article, you will see that we are non-profit and that we work for music and scene. This means we hardly make any money. Thus, we are looking for models with similar approach to the scene, who would like to participate in non-profit release.
We always credit the model and photographer on the CD. Our compilation reach a lot of people in the scene, so this is a very good opportunity to get your work seen.
If you would like to participate, please email links to your galleries to firstname.lastname@example.org
As you can see we do a lot to get your stuff heard and your band more popular. All this free, for the sheer enjoyment of being part of your success and for the music we love.
We hope this guide helped you to understand how our compilations work. Should you have any questions, suggestions or any other matter you would like to discuss with us, please go to contact section and talk to us.